Jenna Black's Blog Experiment

Wherein romance author Jenna Black plunges into the terrifying new territory of blogging . . .


 

Monday, July 23, 2007

What I'm Up To

First of all, congratulations to SuziQ who won last week's What If contest. I'll post another What If question on Wednesday. But for now, I thought I'd give you the post-conference low-down on what I'm up to.

I've finished the revisions for Hungers of the Heart, the fourth book of my Guardians of the Night series, and when I talked to my editor at conference it sounded like she was happy with them. So, that should be off my plate now. (Yay!) I'm still waiting for a revision letter for The Devil You Know, the second book in my Morgan Kingsley, Exorcist series. Once I get those revisions done, I'll have finished all the books I currently have under contract. (Wow!)

So, what happens next? A lot of people have asked me whether I'm going to continue writing for Tor now that I've signed with Bantam. And the answer is . . . we'll see. I'm going to write a proposal (which for the non-writers who read this is the first three chapters and a synopsis) of a fifth book in the series. It's going to be another redemption story (I love those), but there's some question as to whether the character I'm planning to make the hero is really redeemable. He did some Very Bad Things in Hungers of the Heart (as I blogged about in an earlier post when I was struggling with him).

Of course, those of you who've read Secrets in the Shadows and know that Gabriel is the hero of the next book realize how much I like to push the envelope with my heroes. We'll just have to see how my editor likes the idea. I suspect the success (or lack thereof!) of Shadows on the Soul, with my ultra-dark hero, will have some bearing on whether Tor is going to be willing to go with my proposal for the continuation of the series.

The long and short of it is, if you enjoy the Guardians of the Night series--and particularly if you enjoy Shadows on the Soul when it comes out--please spread the word to other readers! The more buzz that book gets, the more likely I'll be able to continue writing Guardians of the Night books!

4 Comments:

At 1:31 PM, Blogger Dayle A. Dermatis said...

I had to do a double-take over your character named Morgan Kingsley--one of my best friends is named Morgana Krinsley!

 
At 1:43 PM, Blogger Jenna Black said...

Wow. You'll have to tell her she's the heroine of an urban fantasy series but that the author spelled her name wrong. LOL

 
At 5:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, new reader here! I was curious...didn't an author named Mike Carey just come out with a book called "The Devil You Know" featuring an exorcist character? I could be wrong...

If that's the case, would something like that make your publisher want you to change the title? (and it's a good one, too!)

anyway, best of luck with the books...they sound so exciting!

Heather

 
At 6:13 PM, Blogger Jenna Black said...

Heather--
Yeah, another reader told me about that book. I doubt the title of my book is going to change at this stage (though I could be wrong). I gave my publisher a whole bunch of possible titles with the word "devil" in them, and they chose The Devil You Know. (Even though it's hardly the first time that title has been used! My favorite historical romance by Liz Carlyle has that title!)

I'll mention it to my publisher and see if they care. Titles do get reused a lot, and mine won't come out until summer of next year.

Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Links

Favorite Blogs

Previous Posts

Powered by Blogger