Jenna Black's Blog Experiment

Wherein romance author Jenna Black plunges into the terrifying new territory of blogging . . .


 

Sunday, January 20, 2008

Bunco Night

Last night was my turn to host our neighborhood Bunco game. Bunco, if you're not familiar with it, is a pretty silly dice-rolling game that involves absolutely no thought or strategy. It's really just an excuse for women in a neighborhood to get together and socialize.

My neighborhood has been doing the Bunco thing for over a year now, but I've rarely been able to go because it's usually been held on the same day as my local RWA meeting. But since the host gets to pick the day, I decided I would go ahead and host so I could get in on the socializing.

The absolute hardest part about playing hostess is that the party includes dinner. I'm not much of a cook, and I literally never entertain. And suddenly, I found myself having to prepare dinner for somewhere between ten and fifteen people. At least one of whom I knew was vegetarian. And I wanted to prepare foods that wouldn't get cold too fast as we waited for the stragglers to trickle in. I was just a tad intimidated, let me tell you.

I spent more time than I want to admit obsessively surfing the net, looking for recipes that would meet my criteria, since most of my favorite recipes on the rare occasions when I cook require pasta or rice, which are almost impossible to keep warm. I ended up making a chicken tortilla soup in my crock pot, and some Italian stuffed shells for my vegetarians. They both turned out very well and were relatively easy to make, so I wasn't as stressed out yesterday as I expected to be.

Everything went well, my guests all raved about dinner, and I had enough food for everyone. The only downside was the amount of time I spent on my feet over the course of the day. I'm all achy and stiff today. But I've become something of a football fan, so I'll just park myself in front of the TV with my legs propped up, and I'm sure by tomorrow I'll be as good as new.

1 Comments:

At 1:33 PM, Blogger Harry Markov said...

Well then congratulations. I am not a big fan of throwing parties myself and I don't have the space I would like, so I go out more and dine cheap with friends. One must look after the budget! Yup!

I like the socializing part better. I can talk 24 hours about nothing, but with people I know. It doesn't happen with strangers or people I barely know. It's hard to imagine how I even made contacts.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Links

Favorite Blogs

Previous Posts

Powered by Blogger