Jenna Black's Blog Experiment

Wherein romance author Jenna Black plunges into the terrifying new territory of blogging . . .


 

Thursday, December 13, 2007

Fans--the best thing since sliced bread

I love my fans. You have no idea how much you lift my spirits and inspire me when you write to me and tell me that you enjoy my books! One little email can make a huge difference on a day when I'm struggling with my writing or with the demons of self-doubt.

I was so moved by something one of my fans did that I felt the need to share it. (Also, I'll jump on anything that gives me an idea what to write in my blog, which sometimes seems harder than my novels!) I received the following in the mail from one of my fans this week:



She did actually sign it, but I figured she might not want me to share her name with everyone on the Internet, so I erased the signature from the scan. Call me sappy, but my eyes misted up when I saw this. It's so easy to take negative comments to heart, and often so hard to accept compliments. But I'm going to put this certificate in a frame near my desk, and whenever those demons of self-doubt start attacking me, I'll grab the certificate and smack them with it.

I've said this before, but it bears repeating: if you read a book and you absolutely love it, please write to the author and let him/her know. It's amazing how much of an effect it can have! Don't just assume the author gets so much fan mail that he or she just shrugs it off. Chances are that's not the case, and you could make someone's day, just as this fan made mine.

5 Comments:

At 11:38 PM, Blogger Lexi said...

How wonderful! Yes, over the last few years I've started to do just that. As I've learned more about the submission process (and rejection process), I've realized how important it is to let the authors know I like the book just for the reasons you talk about!

 
At 2:21 PM, Blogger Marcia Colette said...

Let me be the first to say that The Devil Inside has restored my faith in urban fantasies. I was getting worried when I had put several books down and not bothered to pick them up again. Awesome job!!

 
At 3:46 PM, Blogger Jenna Black said...

Thanks, Marcia!

 
At 8:11 PM, Blogger T.C. Robson said...

Oh, that is so sweet! :D

 
At 7:48 AM, Blogger Harry Markov said...

This is great. This certificate definitely speaks more than any e-mail can. Sometimes small gesture of appreciation such as these can relate a whole lot more than words can. Happens and I am glad it made your day!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Links

Favorite Blogs

Previous Posts

Powered by Blogger