Jenna Black's Blog Experiment

Wherein romance author Jenna Black plunges into the terrifying new territory of blogging . . .


 

Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Letting go of the security blanket

Next year will be a really big year for me. Not because of my new releases, but because starting on January 1, 2008, I will finally let go of my security blanket and become the full-time writer I've wanted to be all my life.

I'm sure some of you see the number of books I'm putting out and are thinking, "you mean to tell me she's not doing this full time!" I have arranged with my day job to work 30-hour weeks instead of 40-hour weeks, but yes, I do still have a day job. And while I've been able to keep up with my writing deadlines (for the most part) so far, I've known for a while that there was only so long I could keep this up.

Right now, I'm writing at the pace of one book every six months--but that's one book every six months per publisher. And I have two publishers! How long could I do that while working a 30-hour a week day job? And, of course, doing promotional work for each of my releases--things like blogging, and website updates, and book signings.

It was around spring of this year when I began seeing the proverbial writing on the wall, but one thing you're never guaranteed to have as an author (unless you're on a level with the likes of Nora Roberts) is job security. And man, it's scary as hell to let go of the security blanket. Regular paychecks . . . group health insurance . . . gone. So while I knew intellectually that I couldn't continue working what amounted to three full-time jobs at once forever, I still wasn't ready to let go.

Usually, I'll say I don't believe in Fate, but sometimes I just have to wonder . . .

As I was pondering the question of my future employment, waffling and procrastinating, my company decided to close its North Carolina office. They gave me some options. I could work from home (which is what I'm doing now), but not in my current position. I'd have to take a different job, with which I would have little familiarity. Or I could move to Omaha. Yeah, right. Not happening! Or I could continue on until the end of this year, and then take a nice severance package.

As I said, moving to Omaha was out of the question. And if I'm having a hard time dealing with all three of my jobs now, the last thing I need is to learn a new job, which is always stressful, even when you're staying within the same company. I decided that Fate was giving me a swift kick in the rear, telling me it was time to be a full-time author.

I'm very much looking forward to being able to devote myself to my writing without those annoying conference calls, and meetings, and email flame-wars (which aren't called that, of course, because it's a corporate environment, but that's still what they are). And let's not even talk about the pain-in-the-butt customers. But man, I sure hope Fate knows what the hell she's doing!

7 Comments:

At 4:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can well imagine how scary it must be, but if grabbing the dream were easy, everyone would do it. Good luck!

 
At 4:21 PM, Blogger Romantic Heretic said...

Good luck. :) Sending positive vibes your way.

Oh, and move to Canada. We have public healthcare here and it's very good.

 
At 4:42 PM, Blogger Chrissy said...

If you aren't reading Jenna Black you're missing out on one of the best new voices out there.

Good luck, Jenna. Honestly, I am insanely happy for totally selfish reasons. I can't get enough of your work.

Your biggest fan is cheering wildly.

 
At 4:47 PM, Blogger Jenna Black said...

Chrissy, you just made my day! Thanks so much. (Comments like that certainly calm some of the butterflies in my stomach!)

 
At 9:37 PM, Blogger Lynda Hilburn said...

Jenna: Funny, how we get what we ask for, eh? What a wonderful opportunity for you to have what you really want. I'm sure your hubby won't let you be a bag lady! Major congrats on the wonderful gift from the universe.
Lynda

 
At 10:44 PM, Blogger Two Voices Publishing said...

Congratulations, Jenna! Trust me, there still won't be enough hours in the day, but it's a wonderful feeling to be a full-time author. Enjoy!

 
At 8:59 PM, Blogger Jeri said...

Good luck, Jenna! I'm really happy for you. Nice that everything converged for you at the right time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Links

Favorite Blogs

Previous Posts

Powered by Blogger