Jenna Black's Blog Experiment

Wherein romance author Jenna Black plunges into the terrifying new territory of blogging . . .


 

Friday, August 18, 2006

Promo Frenzy

"Frenzy" seems to be my theme lately! I think it has something to do with the fact that I'm not working on a book right this moment. It leaves me with too much time to think about--and stress about--my upcoming release. So, these past couple of days I've been obsessing about my promotional efforts. I've had these tri-fold brochures printed up that contain a little snippet from my book, as well as the cover art, the back cover blurb, and a number of really nice author quotes. I've been busily stuffing them into boxes and envelopes, sending them out to various local RWA conferences to put in goodie bags. I've also been sending out my very limited number of advance reading copies to a few bookstores that Sue Grimshaw (the Borders/Waldenbooks romance buyer I met in Atlanta) suggested would be the most useful.

Lastly, I've been stressing about doing a booksigning in my area. I'm supposed to do a signing at a Barnes & Noble that has been very supportive of my local chapter. However, I'm currently scheduled to do it on Halloween (the day my book comes out), and that's beginning to look like a bad idea. An awful lot of people have said that they can't come that day because of family obligations. So, now I'm trying to get in touch with the CRM (customer relations manager) who set this up to see if it's too late to change the date. I hope it's not, because I'd hate to do a big book launch party and have none of my local RWA chapter mates be able to come!

I think the two and a half months remaining until my release date are going to be a real test of nerves for me. So far, I'd give myself a D+ for keeping them under control. I just hope I can get better at it as time goes on or I'm going to be a total nervous wreck by November. But, at least I'm channeling a lot of that nervous energy into things that are worthwhile, like sending out these brochures and advance reading copies. Always look on the bright side, right?

I wonder, am I going to be this way before all releases? *Shudder* Or is this a special level of nerves just because it's the first one? (Please, for my sanity, let it be the latter!)

4 Comments:

At 11:46 AM, Blogger Patti O'Shea said...

Jenna,

It gets better. I still have nerves before a release and I'm on book 4, but they're not as bad and they don't last as long. I'd tell you to just relax and enjoy the experience, but that would be a do as I say, not as I did thing.

Good luck and I'm planning on buying my copy of your book the first weekend it's out!

Patti

 
At 12:19 PM, Blogger Jenna Black said...

Thanks, Patti! Both for saying that you'll buy my book, and for reassuring me that the nerves will get better some day.

 
At 2:44 PM, Blogger Sonja Foust said...

I can't wait to get my hands on your book, so even if your signing is on Halloween I'll be there! :-) Of course, I don't have kids, so I see what you mean. Anyway, I really can't wait to read it. Your first chapter has been mocking me since you put it up on your website a looooong time ago. ;-)

 
At 9:51 PM, Blogger Lexi said...

I hope you can change the book signing. Good luck with keeping your nerves under control. Or getting them under control.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Links

Favorite Blogs

Previous Posts

Powered by Blogger