Jenna Black's Blog Experiment

Wherein romance author Jenna Black plunges into the terrifying new territory of blogging . . .


 

Thursday, August 03, 2006

I'm Back

Wow. It's amazing to look back and see that I haven't posted to this blog in over a month. Where did the time go?

Well, it went into getting Shadows on the Soul written and ready to submit by August 1st! For the first time ever for me, a book actually went longer than I was expecting. My usual MO is to get to around page 280-300 and start panicking that the book isn't going to be long enough. (No matter how many books I've written, no matter how many times I've proven to myself that yes, the book will be long enough, I still have that knee-jerk panic reaction.) So I knew it was going to run long when I hit that point and wasn't panicking.

I was estimating my writing quota per day based on the projection that the final book would be 380 manuscript pages. It ended up being 408 pages instead. Which meant I was really having to pump out the page at the end. (Actually, when I get to close to the end of a book, I usually end up writing faster and longer anyway--with the finish line on the horizon, I get even more obsessive than usual.)

Anyway, I got the manuscript and my own revisions done, and then printed it out and took it to Atlanta with me for the RWA national conference. By this time, I was royally sick of the book, but I managed to proofread the whole thing over the course of the conference. Meanwhile, my wonderful husband was also reading through it, catching errors I didn't catch myself. Hopefully, this means it isn't a total mess!

And yes, I turned it in by my August 1st deadline. Unfortunately, my editor informs me that there are three manuscripts ahead of mine in her editorial queue, which means I'll have to wait until mid-September to see how she likes it. It's going to be a long and nerve-wracking wait, because (as I think I made clear in my last post) I took some chances on this book. We'll have to see what she thinks!

2 Comments:

At 3:01 PM, Blogger Lexi said...

Good luck with the risk-taking. I hope your editor loves the book.

 
At 8:03 PM, Blogger Jenna Black said...

Unfortunately, I won't know how my editor feels about it until mid September. There are apparently three books in line ahead of me for editing. I'll try my best not to chew my fingernails off by then.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Links

Favorite Blogs

Previous Posts

Powered by Blogger