Jenna Black's Blog Experiment

Wherein romance author Jenna Black plunges into the terrifying new territory of blogging . . .


 

Sunday, April 23, 2006

Missed a Book!

Writing about the keeper shelf the other day made me finally realize I had a book missing from that shelf--Briar Rose, by Jane Yolen. I have so many books that they're in double rows on my bookshelves, but the moment I realized this one was missing, I hunted it down and plopped it on the keeper shelf where it belongs. I put together this keeper shelf of mine so I wouldn't have to go hunting every time I wanted to reread something! And this is one I've read many, many times.

Briar Rose is a fantastic version of the story of Sleeping Beauty, set against the horrors of a Nazi concentration camp. Because of the subject matter, it is of course grim at times, but the story is fascinating. The heroine, Becca, is looking into the life of her grandmother, who recently died. Her grandmother claimed to be Sleeping Beauty, and turns out to have mysterious origins--no one's sure what her name really was, and no one knows who Becca's grandfather was. The story she uncovers is moving, sad, romantic, and inspiring all in one. It's classified as a young adult book, but when I originally bought it it was shelved as fantasy, and there's really nothing young adult about the subject matter. I highly recommend it.

3 Comments:

At 12:08 AM, Blogger WagerWitch said...

Woohooo!

Jenna posted her pic!

Will that be your famous back cover pic when you get all rich and amazing book sales?

Hmmmmm?

*Crosses fingers for you*

(It's a great pic, btw.)

Lady M

 
At 9:01 AM, Blogger Jenna Black said...

It only took me about a month to figure out how to post a picture! But I'm glad you like it. I think it will be my back cover pic, though I haven't officially discussed it yet.

 
At 7:16 PM, Blogger Zinnia said...

My novella coming out soon has rose in the title. Mine's based on the goddess Freya.

However, your recommendation sounds great. I think I'm going to look that one up to read.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Links

Favorite Blogs

Previous Posts

Powered by Blogger