Jenna Black's Blog Experiment

Wherein romance author Jenna Black plunges into the terrifying new territory of blogging . . .


 

Sunday, December 03, 2006

New Cover for Secrets in the Shadows


When Watchers in the Night was released, the second book in my Guardians of the Night series, Secrets in the Shadows, became available for pre-order on Amazon.com. Imagine my surprise when I saw that the cover on Amazon was not the cover I'd been shown back in June. (And which I posted about on this blog.)

It turns out that Tor's Sales department, and one very influential customer, did not like the old cover--they thought it was depressing--and so the cover was changed. From a personal taste standpoint, I like the old cover better, because I like how striking it is. However, I trust the Sales department to make the right judgment as to what will sell better. What do you think? Which cover do you like better? The one on the left above is the new cover, and the one on the right is the old, rejected cover.

8 Comments:

At 10:36 AM, Blogger Marcia Colette said...

I still like the old cover better. But another look at the new cover and it's grown on me...a little.

Great to have you back! Now you have to stay in one piece because I'm looking forward to my autographed copies of all your future books. :)

A big cheers to you!

 
At 10:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the original cover, the only thing that draws my attention to the second cover is the color.

 
At 12:29 PM, Blogger Kalayna Price said...

Hmm, I like both covers but I think the composition is stronger and more striking on the old cover. (The crop is more interesting) The new cover has a nice color scheme that is appealing to the eye, though I think the bluer one would have looked better sitting next to the reds in the first book than the rose will. As far as sitting on a bookstore shelf, I think either would have attracted the consumer eye equally. I wonder why they thought it was depressing? (BTW both are still great covers!)

 
At 11:49 PM, Blogger Lexi said...

I like them both.

 
At 10:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jenna, Before I even finished reading your blog on the covers, my eyes were drawn to the cover on the right. Not sure exactly why they thought it was depressing. Maybe I like it because of the colors used in it. Hmmm...The new cover isn't bad but the original I think is better. Phylis

 
At 7:48 PM, Blogger Larissa Ione said...

I like the one on the right the best, but both are nice! :)

 
At 8:42 PM, Blogger KM Hammond said...

I agree with you. Old one is better. I like the way her head is tilted back and stuff . . .

 
At 11:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

At first glance I thought the cover on the left must be the old one, and the right, with the better lettering placement the new one. Surprise. The one on the left looks like a POD book. I like POD fine, but the covers aren't always the most professional looking. Too bad they changed it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Links

Favorite Blogs

Previous Posts

Powered by Blogger